The top three remain firmly entrenched, and while an Adam versus Allison final seems too much to ask for at this point, an Adam versus Kris final may be possible.
At the bottom–Matt or Danny? Danny or Matt? Tough one there. I didn’t like either of them last night but disliked Matt’s ultra-boring “My Funny Valentine” slightly more than Gokey’s needlessly bombastic “Come Rain or Come Shine,” but not enough to drop him below the lazy Gokey, who hasn’t developed since the contest began and who does not appear to be trying.
- Adam Lambert. Last night’s performance was probably his worst to date, but he’s so good, his worst isn’t very bad.
- Allison Iraheta. A big, big comeback right when she needed it the most. A superb performance, possibly her best of the year, will hopefully keep her in this thing for one more week.
- Kris Allen. If it can’t be Allison in the final, it should be Kris. He’s been remarkably consistent and, unlike Matt or Danny, understands the value of subtlety.
- Matt Giraud. At least he’s trying.
- Danny Gokey. While he may possess the raw talent to be a better singer than Matt or Kris, he is making no effort to develop that talent. Taking plays off got Randy Moss sent to the Hell that is the Oakland Raiders. It ought to get Gokey sent home.
Former Housemate Mike sends his reflections and rankings.
- Allison Iraheta. Best of the night. She showed something really strong tonight that made me seriously doubt Simon’s comments, which rarely happens. Great arrangement, great vocals. I’m still not entirely sure why she’s not considered more of a contender.
- Adam Lambert. Really good moments in this performance, but I was only occasionally blown away. I think he has set a different standard for himself, which, though awesome, might be a deterrent in the long run. He was like a musical James Bond villain tonight which is a compliment and insult at the same time. I really want him to do Skid Row. I’ll leave it at that.
- Danny Gokey. I really liked him tonight. I think this is the second time with him that I have gone against my general rule of being annoyed by those who only do good in the second half. But his second half was SO good. I saw a roughness in his voice I’ve never heard, and I’m still cool with Gokey.
- Kris Allen. This part was tough for me. I thought Kris was the worst of the night. That being said, I thought he was VERY good. I still don’t see anything but hollowness in him, and tonight was the case in point. He was good and sweet and had a GREAT song choice. I thought he was very bland tonight. He’s fortunate I have a vendetta against number 5.
- Matt Giraud. I really liked Matt tonight. I ranked him number two of the night after Allison. I really liked his phrasing and dedication to the theme of the night. That all being said, I still don’t think it’s good enough to cover the eggs he’s laid recently. He actually made me like Kris. And, this week, Matt was way better than Kris. But Matt wasted too much time. He still, to me, squandered being saved. Matt will lose this week, and it’s a shame. I think both he and Anoop should have outlasted Kris. Call me crazy, I appreciate substance. But I also appreciate consistent execution.