With the onset of the digital age, many have feared that the future of rock ‘n’ roll music is in serious jeopardy. However, some resourceful bands have safely surfed the wave of mp3 blogs to their own level of internet stardom, while still others are grinding it out the old fashioned way: word of mouth, indie labels that are weathering the storm, and kick ass live shows. Some bands have even found new ways to make their music heard by the public, such as farming their songs out for low cost to popular television shows like “Grey’s Anatomy” and a bevy of other subpar network productions.
In spite of the near collapse of the major label music industry, rock ‘n’ roll has actually grown and evolved, and the diversity of choices out there in the year 2008 has been truly astonishing. Now that the year is half over, I will give you my top ten albums of 2008 thus far in reverse order because you demanded it (and by “you” I mean “I”). Stick around to see how many of them make it to the end of year list!
10. Los Campesinos! – Hold On Now, Youngster
9. Born Ruffians – Red Yellow & Blue
8. MGMT – Oracular Spectacular (Fan-made video)
7. The Whigs – Mission Control (Fan-made video)
6. Why? – Alopecia
5. No Age – Nouns (Live video)
4. Pete and the Pirates – Little Death
3. Frightened Rabbit – Midnight Organ Fight
2. Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes (Fan-made video)
1. Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago (Fan-made video)